Wednesday, March 10, 2010

I pledge allegiance....

Am I unpatriotic b/c I did NOT watch (nor had the desire to watch) the Olympics?  In the back of my mind there's a voice insinuating that I am not the proper American I should be b/c I lack the luster a "true" American would have while enjoying a nice evening at home kicking back and watching the ever impressive athletes wow us with their olympiadic abilities.  Somehow pushing a stone/marble puck/ball/disc, whatever the heck you call it, over the ice while 2 people scrub the ice (for a purpose I don't really understand) is hardly thrilling.  I mean, I just can't imagine anyone on the edge of their seat w/beads of sweat running down their forehead waiting for the results of that specific event.  Come to think of it, I can't imagine anyone even watching that event, unless a family member was competing, and even then they watch out of sheer obligation...not b/c they yearn for the elation that "sport" can provide.  
 Did you know that Figure Skating has different categories....there's couples skating...figure skating....and figure "dancing" meaning...no jumps, no stunts just dancing...on...the ice....ummm that's weird...b/c that's what I do EVERY single time I go ice skating...the fact that it's an Olympic event is confusing, maybe I should try out next time.  I don't know if they'd be able to handle my ice dancing skills....they're pretty elite.  Did you guys see the event where they cross country ski and then randomly shoot at targets?  Who the H came up with THAT event?  I just don't get it.  Don't get me wrong, I love the (cool) events like Snowboarding....Bobsledding (Cool Runnings did me in),  Speed skating, figure skating (not figure dancing), anything w/cool stunts is right up my alley.  All the boring events can just sit on the back burner if you catch my drift.  Thanks.  

6 comments:

AngiDe said...

Oh my gosh you are hilarious! I think you said what most of us just think becuase we are too "cool" to say it out loud ;)

xo

pammysua said...

Well, there's always soccer. . .but you know, I'm sick of tired of hearing what a great team the Soviets have!

LiafromLaie said...

I WAS going to tell you that not feeling the urge to sit and watch the Winter Olympics does not make you unpatriotic. I mean not everyone is into the Winter sports and a lot of them require that you actually have to know what's going on to really pay attention...

I was going to tell you that... but then you go and diss curling.

YOU DISSED CURLING!

I love curling. I happened to be one of those people at the edge of their seats waiting to see the results.

*takes a deep breath*

But that's ok. Not everyone gets curling or has the yearning to try it out.

And you're not unpatriotic... heck I can't stand the summer games.

Teacher Mama said...

Plus I wonder, where do those bullets go that miss the target? Aren't there cross-country events going on close to that? Also, can something truly be an Olympic event if a pregnant woman is competing? Kuddos for her for trying, but come on. And I think you are still American (or at least Utahn) if you eat a lot of chocolate, drink a lot of soda, and stand for the national anthem.

G said...

hahaha of friend....how funny your mind works. j/k well first off i think we're over. you dissed Curling which the huge ice, block, puck, whatever you call it being pushed sport. I was once of those people at the egde of my seat, heavily sweating my eyeballs hoping the US did something good. hahaha just kidding. i do love curling tho. i think it would be much for fun than watching. i would actually like to play cause I definately know my skills are the biz. you should absolutely join the ice dancing team. i will seat there sweating @ the edge of my seat waiting to see if you'll take gold. aahh (sigh) how would it be

Jennifer Lane said...

WHAT!!! curling is actually way fun. i did it last year and quite enjoyed myself. it takes skill Jenilyn....skill.

so question: did you like or not like the jean looking snowpants that the snowboarder wore?? and did you ever wonder if they were actually wearing real jeans. and please tell me you watched the half pipe.

you're hilarious by the way. so funny!