Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Only Child Syndrome

I am the oldest of four kids. My whole life I've always wanted to be an only child. Maybe b/c I USED TO (past tense)love attention. Well ladies and gentlemen, I finally got my wish. As some of you may know both my brothers live in Provo...away from the nest (which is currently in West Jordan)which is about 45 minutes away, my younger and prettier sister flew across the pond to visit the ever-famous, ever-attractive country/continent we know as Europe. Which leaves me in a too-big-for-three-people house with my parents. As I reflected on my term as an only child I realized..."it is NOT all it's cracked up to be." Think about it. Question: When your parents need something done...who do they ask? Answer: the only child. Jenilyn please do the dishes, Jenilyn please fold the clothes, Jenilyn please cook dinner, Jenilyn please vaccum the house, Jenilyn please get me some water, Jenilyn please weed the ENTIRE back yard before the sun comes out, Jenilyn please do the grocery shopping (a task that I actually enjoy...but don't tell...it will ruin the effect)...I am so sick of the name "Jenilyn" I'm thinking of changing it! Well...not really but it adds drama to the story so I'll keep it. When I was in 4th grade (I still remember this vividly) we read a book called "The Wishgiver" the moral of the story (I won't bore you with the particulars) was to be careful what you wish for, and that ladies and gentlemen, that in a nutshell is the moral of this blog...be careful what you wish for....for you may in fact get it. Jamie, please come home!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the feeling....I am the oldest of five. Luckily my baby bro is still the maid at my parent's house. LOL

The Memea family said...

you are so funny! Sorry for the only child syndrome...but at least it is only for a short time!

Adam and Brynn said...

lol I'm sorry! I hope Jamie gets home soon... :)

G said...

hahaha i know what you mean. I'm the oldest and get blamed for everything everyone else did or didn't do. ugh so annoying. lol

Jennifer Lane said...

Oh no!! You mean to tell me that EVERYDAY is Jen dish day?

Kayleen Taulanga said...

Hi Jenilyn, Thanks for the comment on my blog. So I didn't know this but my husband just told me you're the sister of one of his good friends, Mikey. I'm married to Mani Taulanga. It was nice to meet you at Annie and Wayne's wedding!

Teacher Mama said...

I think you should insist upon being called Princess. If you are going to be called on a lot, you should at least have a title, right?

Olivia said...

LOL, i love your blog :D